Thursday, November 19, 2009

Clarity cuts through H1N1 vaccination stress

Like so many parents, my husband and I have been weighing the pros and cons of vaccinating our daughter for swine flu. We did our research. We consulted with two different pediatricians, both whom we trust. One is strongly in favor of the H1N1 vaccine, one is staunchly opposed to it.

Needless to say we got confused. We got frustrated. And we got scared. The stakes are just too high to mess it up. But are they?

Now before I tell you how I got clear about what to do for my family, let me first advise you of something that you probably already know: your intuition will produce a response unique to you and your situation. In other words, my answer to the H1N1 vaccine question is not your answer -- even if we just so happen to arrive at the same answer. Okay, advisory over, now for the moment of insight. Figuring I'd gathered enough information, I checked in with my intuition. "What should I do?", I asked. Much to my surprise, I sensed back, "Either way is fine." I knew it to be a solid response because the answer brought a sense of quiet peace. And I had to laugh. Sometimes I stress and worry just because that's what I think I'm "supposed" to do. It's nice to be part of society and fear is so trendy -- do you know what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment